Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I missed a few days more than usual...

But i'm still gonna have to give anyone out there following me this month a quick recap of the past few days b/c they are so worth it.

Saturday 8/28/2010 Day 18: So "Amazing"

Well not that i really want to be on the show but my sister loves the show and is an avid fan! So i had no choice but to go and be her partner in crime and attend the amazing race tryout/casting. We had to drive to the 99 restaurant in tewksbury mass and stand in line for about 2/3 hours so we could get in front of the camera for 60 SECONDS... and try to make the biggest impression of our lives!!! Not easy haha. So if you got a random text or email from me asking you a personal question about what makes me so amazing lol then that's why not b/c i wanted to have my ego lathered with praise! Its Ramadan I'm trying not to do that.

I'll have you guys know though that in the spirit of Rudyard Kipling's poem "If" I made full use of the 60 seconds and bordered on what i would think was an insanely amazing impression haha. We'll see... I mean honestly i'm one of the best "racers" in the world man how hard could it be ;-)

Sunday 8/29/2010 Day 19: Wow, Fasting is really hard sometimes...

This morning I got up early and stayed up this time. I didn't actually go back to bed, but i stayed up reading b/c there is a hadith (hadith = story of the life/sayings of the holy last messenger; prophet Muhammad, salallah hu alaihi wa sallam = peace and blessings be upon him). It says that when one stays awake in the early part of the morning until sunrise Allah (God) will allow his rizk (rizk = daily sustenance) to come to him easily. This means that instead of working really hard your day becomes considerably easier. I'd that that's not something hard to believe nor is it hard to relate to. When I was young i though of sustenance as food and water and i noticed it was really hard to evaluate how hard i actually had to work to get it b/c mom and dad were there doing it all for me. Now that I am a little more seasoned I realize that sustenance is derived not only in the act of eating or driking but also in participating in the act of attaining the means to eat or drink. Therefore, work and your livelihood is directly related to attaining sustenance. Hence, when you sleep in late and then go to work you can often notice that you are starting behind time, and things can seem like they are a little more difficult to get done but often when you wake up early you are a lot more productive; you get your morning workout done, you have an early start with getting stuff completed and ultimately that is what keeps you in a state of balance mentally so that you can be productive in your day to day responsibilities. Ok i said all that to get to this point I was fasting so i wasn't going to eat any food but i was in a better mood for the morning and b/c i was awake i was able to go to play some morning basketball with my brother and some buddies at Elliott park in Brookline b/c they play really early in the morning on the weekends.

It had been a really long time needless to say and man it was 2 hours of the hardest fought layups that I've ever gotten. I really notice how terrible i am when i haven't played basketball in a long time and it kinda makes me self conscious. I mean i used to play all the time when i was young so i know i am amazing but...NOT NOW HAHA! It was so exhausting though. Basketball just takes it out of me b/c I am constantly banging against people trying to keep my balance with people pulling and leaning on me so when i was done i was sore in all the places I never feel on a regular track work out. I felt like i was back working at gentle giant and it was my first day back all over again. I had to fast the rest of the day too!!! My throat was parched, my legs were cramping and my feet felt like they were on fire the whole time and that is not an exaggeration.

After basketball my brother and i then went and helped my father pick up a washer and dryer...I'ma keep the story short. It took us 6 hours from 10 to 4pm. Honestly between the peak moving season and organizing vans that could do the job it was nearly impossible. Thank goodness we stuck it out and its over and we're all happy.

That day was one of the roughest days of Ramadan for me though. After b-ball man i just felt like every step i took i was going to fall b/c i just had no energy. Those are the times when you know fasting is really hard but if the mind is committed then you can always find a way to do it. We broke fast that day at 7:20 or so and it couldn't have come a moment too soon haha. I think i drank about 40 cups of water that night haha ok maybe more like 13 but you catch my drift.

Monday 8/30/2010 Day 20: Back to school again!!!

Well this day was a pretty exciting day. I got to teach at SCSU as an adjuct professor, and it was the first day of classes so the campus was transformed from ghostown to live and living city of new haven all over again wooooohoooooo!!! Thats great but also difficult. Its great to see all the athletes again but its so distracting when there are so many new people and campus events going on at the same time. I must say though I did well and had a productive day one of school. Lecture was good, kids on the team were fired up to be back, I fasted ;-) and even managed to go out on a 20 min run and some bare for striders! I'm the man...

Holla back!

Ma assalama my people
Mustafa

No comments: