Sunday, August 15, 2010

Ramadan Mubarak!!!

In an attempt to give this month its due I will be blogging everyday for the rest of the month of Ramadan. Ramadan is a 29-30 day month dictated by the cycle of the moon. sometimes the new moon is seen after 29 days, sometimes after 30, but never more than 30 days. This is the reason the islamic calendar is shorter than the gregorian calendar. Hence Ramadan is never always on the same day of the same month and is always changing, but the duration is always 29 or 30 days. So that said Ramadan is also a month of increased spiritual practice. It is said that when the physical is weak the spiritual is strong.

Here are some words I'd like you to know:
Suhoor: This is the meal taken in the early morning before sunrise (dawn). Fasting starts after Suhoor is taken, unless you wake too late to eat Suhoor. Fajr prayer is made after Suhoor.

Iftar: This is the meal immidiately after sunset. It breaks the fast and is done before the prayer (magrib).

Dont forget those two words, I use them a lot.

3 comments:

Kate Whitcomb said...

I would be hurting if I missed Suhoor! Can you eat as much as you like? How does your training differ when your caloric intake is limited? How interesting Mustafa! I can't wait to keep reading each day. `kate

Emily Azevedo said...

Wow that would be tough! It's amazing what our bodies are able to handle. Thank you for sharing and allowing me to learn a little more about you and your beliefs.
Emily

Mustafa Abdur-Rahim said...

Kate:
When I'm fasting its kinda funny i never really monitor my caloric intake so i just eat until i'm satisfied. I mean when i train and fast nothing changes; I still do the same work with the same rest and same volume as everybody else. I honestly think that my body adjust very quickly b/c i've been doing it so long but i also believe that there is some divine and unseen presence with me too during those times haha. Thanks for the comments... keep reading, tell others ;-)!