Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The TV is On but Nobody is Watching!!!

I dont even know what to say man. Today was ba-na-nas!!! I went to the Y and it was actually a very eye opening and informative day. A new/former teacher (new to me, former to the rest of the teachers) came to class today and she started a new literacy program called "The Daily Five." It was a very interesting program and the way she explained it during class was amazing. She was talking to both the kids and the teachers at the same time, but I noticed how well and easily she communicated with the teachers and kids simultaneously! Her effectiveness communicating with the kids was even more amazing to me because just a day before, I watched one of the older teachers explain to one of the kids how to button up his pants. He was trying to button his pants but he couldn't line up the buttons male and female ends because he wasn't looking. He was so excited to get it over with so he could get back to playing that he couldn't take the time to look down and concentrate on what he was doing to button up his pants. After telling him 3 times - unsuccessfully - to look at what he was doing, Ms. Denise (the teacher), towering over him just softly eases his head downward so his chin is pressing against his chest. Derek (the kid) then has no choice but to make the connection that it would be a lot easier to LOOK at what he was doing in order to button up his pants. Needless to say he proceeded to button up his pants immediately thereafter.

Thinking about that made me think. Are these kids that I coach really hearing what I'm saying or is it the exact same thing as Derek and Ms Denise. I mean the lights are on but nobody is home lol. Or what you're actually telling them to do just isn't registering b/c they are way to occupied busy and overwhelmed with everything else going on in their brain; Text messages, homework, food, pain they might feel, fear etc. I mean surely I was never that bad way as an athlete when I was in college, but I only really started understanding my events when I left college. I wonder why it took so long and when I figure that out will I be able to guide my kids around those kinds of mental barriers haha.

On another note, I just hopped into a little jumping work out today with the kids and it actually went and felt pretty well. HJ: 6'2" from 5 steps! Pole vaulted from 5 steps on a 15' 160lb pole, then I capped the day off with a good swim in the pool and some fun dives! Stay tuned to see some evidence hahaaaaaaaaaaa.

Take it easy my people the ghosts that you all are!

GO CAVS and CELTS!
Dartmouth is the best ;-)
Mustafa

2 comments:

Matt Chisam said...

Moose - sorry I missed you at Yale, but as to your post: I feel ya. It's amazing how much nodding can go on without a single word sinking in! I'll tell you what tho, If I can get the majority of my college kids listening and APPLYING half as well as many of my Cambridge Jets I'd look like an amazing coach. I honestly do think you're right when you mention cell phones, homework, through in some coffee, the internet, and an ipod it's no wonder things are going in one ear and out the other.


hahaha, we're getting old Moose - the darn kids these days!
Keep that HJ going and let me know when youre going to let me teach you to vault ;)

Zoila Gomez said...

Mosse, Very interesting blog.I remmember while at Adams State listening to Coach Martin about nutrition, training, life style, etc.. I did my best to follow his advise, but its not until years later that I truly undestand and appreciate the concept.
By the way, last week I had the opportunity to visit you alma mater, Dartmouth College. Great enviroment, wonderful town and a great college. No wonder why you are so proud :)