Sunday, July 25, 2010

Another nice week

Despite the foolish little kids (counselors) I have to say this week at camp was amazing also. We made forts! I have never made a real deal fort from scrap and in the woods. It took us three days to build it and I worked so hard on it b/c I was so into it. We constructed it in the form of a pentagon with five sides and five different benches. We even had 2 alternate door ways! I was very proud of the work me and the kids did. Honestly we worked really really hard. We got second place but quite frankly I think we should have won it. I think there was some inside deals made haha.

The kids were carrying loooooooong logs for the foundation of the fort from all over the camp site. Each was built 3.5 to 4 feet high with logs and held in place by posts on each side. After we got the walls up, we went and cut some branches and stuck them on the outside of the fort walls. This was so we could make the fort camouflage, and also add some height to the structure without using more logs. The kids worked so hard and I was so impressed.

I mean in the beginning the kid's moral was so low b/c just didn't see us making it work with our fort, but as it started going up their enthusiasm just shot through the roof! It was great to see and I even had so much fun b/c it was my first time making a fort too. I think a lot of the kids will take this experience with them and use some of the things we did on our fort and bring it to the next structure they construct on their own. I think a little "push" can go a long way towards jogging someone’s imaginative instincts. I think this fort is the beginning of something like that. Who knows, we might even make a tree house next time! Now that would be cool!

Talk to you guys soon,

Mustafa

No comments: